NATURAL CURE FOR BREAST CANCER
Breast cancer is one of the major causes of cancer-related deaths in women. ?This type of cancer is regarded as the most common type of cancer among women.? Due to research developments in the area of breast cancer detection, the rate of breast cancer-related has seen a steady decline in Western countries where survival rates are about 70%.
While there are many effective ways of treating breast cancer and sending it into remission, natural remedial methods have been proven to have the advantage of coming with little or no side effects.
In this article we shall take a look at some of the natural ways of dealing with breast cancer; but, before then let?s get to know what breast cancer is all about.
What is breast cancer?
Breast cancer is the abnormal and uncontrolled growth of cancer cells within or around the breast. This type of cancer affects the tissues of the breast and if left untreated or diagnosed lately the cancer cells can spread to other parts of the body and lead to the death of the person.
Factors that contribute to breast cancer development
Like most other types of cancer, breast cancer development is caused by several factors such as genetics, age, and environmental factors like exposure to radiation. And while this form of cancer is believed as a female-only disease, it does, however, affect men as well, albeit at a significantly lower rate.
That being said, women with a family history of breast cancer are at a higher risk of developing breast cancer than those who do not.
Symptoms of breast cancer
If diagnosed early enough, breast cancer patients can survive the disease. Some of the early symptoms of breast cancer are inverted nipples, lumps around the breast, pain in the breast, hot flashes, etc.
Treatment methods for breast cancer
As with most other forms of cancer, breast cancer can be treated conventionally by surgery, chemotherapy, or radiation. Other standard methods of breast cancer treatment include hormone therapy and targeted therapy. However, these treatment methods most times than not, come with adverse side effects like headaches, fatigue, pain, and sometimes loss of memory.
The unpleasant side effects that are associated with conventional treatment methods for breast cancer is a good reason to seek alternative treatment methods which are almost equally effective. This brings us to the aim of this article: natural cures or treatment methods for breast cancer.
Natural cures for breast cancer
The following are herbs, drinks, or activities that can help in the treatment of breast cancer, either separately or in combination with conventional medical treatment.
- Flax seed: Flax seeds are rich sources of omega-3 fatty acids, which are considered healthy and beneficial fats. A research done at the University of Toronto showed that crushed flax seeds have cancer-fighting properties. The research which was conducted on mice proved that flax seeds can be used in the treatment of malignant tumors.
It has also been shown that the lignans found in flax seeds help to slow down the growth and spread of hormone-sensitive cancers like breast cancer.
- Turmeric: Turmeric is the major component of curry powder (a common kitchen ingredient). Turmeric has anti-cancer properties due to the presence of curcumin which is the active component of turmeric. Curcumin contains phenols that give turmeric its cancer-fighting capabilities. The three major phases of any cancer are initiation, promotion, and propagation; the use of turmeric can be beneficial in all three phases.
- Green tea: Green tea contains a polyphenol called epigallocatechin, albeit in trace amounts. This chemical compound in addition to the many antioxidants found in green tea help to make the herb a good cancer-fighting drink. Even more, the catechins in the tea help to strengthen the body?s immune system and in preventing angiogenesis (formation of new blood vessels) and metastases of cancer cells. Lastly, the side effects of radiotherapy can be reduced with green tea.
- Grapes: Grapes contain proanthosyanidins, which help to lower the release of estrogen in women. Most breast cancer cells are hormone-sensitive as they thrive in the presence of certain hormones like estrogen ? the female sex hormone. By reducing the production of estrogen in the body, the activity of breast cancer cells is significantly reduced.
- Echinacea: This herbal plant is rich in flavonoids which have cancer-fighting capabilities. Preliminary studies conducted on laboratory mice show that a type of Echinacea species called Echinacea pupurea have the potential of killing cancerous cells. Moreover, the consumption of Echinacea has been linked with a reduction of the side effects of chemotherapy and radiotherapy.
- Foods rich in vitamin D: Normally, vitamin D is produced by the skin on exposure to sunlight. This vitamin has been proven to be a powerful anti-cancer agent. Thus, consumption of foods rich in vitamin D like cod liver oil and fish is beneficial to breast cancer patients.
- Rest and Exercise: Stress can help to promote the spread of cancer cells in the body. By managing your stress through rest, the body?s immune system can suppress the activity of cancerous cells. Moreover, research has found that the production of cortisol (a stress hormone) has a relationship with cancer growth.
Exercising is a recommended method of preventing breast cancer in women. Reports have shown that being physically active in addition to proper dieting can significantly lower the risk of cancer development.
- Broccoli: The presence of linamarase gene in broccoli helps to destroy cancer cells when in contact. This is because the gene is converted into cyanide that kills the cancer cells. Other cruciferous vegetables like cauliflower and kale are also beneficial to cancer patients.
- Garlic: Like Echinacea, garlic is another herbal plant with great medicinal properties including helping to reduce inflammation. System inflammations are contributing factors to the spread of cancer cells in the body; thus, finding a way of shrinking these inflammations will curb the metastasis (spread of cancer). Garlic also contains many antioxidants including flavonoids and sulfur compounds like allicin, which have anti-cancer properties.
Garlic also promotes the production of cancer-cytotoxic substances in the body which kill cancerous cells. Various researches have shown that garlic extract can help to prevent the spread of various types of cancer including gastric, lung, bladder, and breast cancer.
Cancer leaves the body vulnerable to infections by reducing the immunity of the body. Since garlic contains many antioxidants, the consumption of the herb can help to boost the body?s immunity against infections.
- Ginseng: Native to the Chinese, ginseng has been used for ages in the treatment of various diseases including cancer. A study conducted on laboratory mice found that ginseng contains active compounds that are helpful in the treatment of cancer. The study showed that TNF (tumor necrosis factor) in the skin of mouse is reduced or stopped altogether. Another research, this time in Korea, reports that the risk of cancer development in humans can be reduced with ginseng.
- Budwig Protocol: Developed by Dr. Johanna Budwig, the Budwig Protocol is a natural treatment method that has been used to cure various types of cancer including brain, prostate, ovarian, and breast cancers. The protocol involves mixing flaxseed oil with fresh, unripened cheese. The confection is helpful in cancer treatment because it stimulates detoxification and promotes oxygenation.o
- Other natural treatment methods for breast cancer are: aromatherapy, which involves the use of aromatic plant extracts and essential oils for treatment, yoga, meditation, acupuncture, massage therapy, etc.
- Things to avoid: While it is great to check on some cancer-fighting foods and natural treatment methods, it is also important that breast cancer patients should avoid certain foods and situations that increase the risk of metastases and negating the effects of the treatment. Doing the right things while also doing the wrong things will not do any good; instead, dropping off the wrong habits and concentrating on the right ones does the trick.
Some of these foods to avoid are:
- Unhealthy fatty foods: While foods with healthy fats like omega-3 fatty acids help to reduce the risk of cancers, trans-fats ? fats from processed foods ? have been associated with increased risk of breast cancer. Examples of foods with trans-fats are crackers, puddings, and fried foods.
- Sugary foods: Like most other forms of cancer, breast cancer cells also thrive on sugars. Thus, eating foods with a high glycemic index increases not only the risk of cancer development, but also promotes metastases. Besides, a research by the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center showed that mice have an increased risk of mammary gland cancer due to their sugar-rich diets.
- Red meat: While more research needs to be done on the relationship between red meat and breast cancer development, it serves you well to avoid this type of meat. Moreover, studies have suggested that the high fat content in processed meats does not help breast cancer patients.
There are many benefits of using natural methods of treatment for any disease including cancer. Nevertheless, you should be aware that the remedies outlined in this article for breast cancer may not completely send your breast cancer into remission; most of the cures listed here are to bolster the body?s immune system in order to combat the cancer cells to a particular degree.
That said, there is a need to consult with your oncologist to guide you through the best treatment methods for your breast cancer.